Monday, December 25, 2006

A letter from the front..

"Dear Mom and Dad,
Merry Christmas!
Hope everything is well and fine back home. I'm doing okay here in France, all things considered. The weather has been kind of crappy, but I understand General Patton will have that fixed for us here real soon. The snow isn't as pretty when you're marching through it day after day. And I used to think fog was kind of neat, but now it's keeping our airplanes from flying over the Krauts.
But you know what does look good? When those new diesel tanks start up in the morning! They kind of rumble and shake, and the snow falls off the sides like when the bull back home gets up after a snowfall. Then they smoke and go Rrrr...rrrr...rrrr until they warm up. They say the diesel doesn't explode so easy from a spark or a shell hit, you see, so they're safer. The tank crews are happier, and if the tank crews are happy, us foot soldiers are happy.
My buddy Alvarez is on one of them, says they're powered by TWO of those new GMC diesels- they call them Screamin' Jimmies! And boy, when they put the pedal down, they do scream! Too bad the Germans can't hear that, it'd put the fear in them!
They say the German tanks are better, but we have more of them and that's fine by me. When this war is over they won't have any left. And if they ever do build any, I bet they'll have Screamin' Jimmies in them- no more Mercedes and whatnot running around, no sirree.
Boy, listen to me- I sound like some big shot industrialist- I'm Walter P. Chrysler! But if I had my way, that's how I'd do it. America can outdo those other countries any way you look at it!
Well, we gotta march again, so I better say goodbye. Tell the kids I send my love. I'll be home next Christmas, me and General Patton, together."
Your son,

1 Comments:

Blogger C. Y. said...

Merry Christmas and the ironic thing is I heard in 2008, Dodge PU's will have Mercedes diesels in them. :-)

They may be the first to have a 1/2 ton diesel due to Mercedes 5 cyl diesel.

12/25/06, 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home