Tuesday, August 15, 2006

WHAT'S IN A NAME?


My colorful language is your hate speech.....

The new apartments built behind Hansen Chrysler are called "North Boyd Apartments". Hmmph. Why not name them "South Simplot Apartments"? Nice view of ol' Stinky from there, I bet! Open them windows and let the north wind blow!

As long as we're on the subject, just what is in a name, anyway? I was recently taken to task for the injudicious use of an abbreviated form of name of an ethnic group. In a sincere effort to praise the automotive products of the Land of the Rising Sun, I referred to the little metric cars I used to drive in a way that did not meet the civility and PC standards of those I was corresponding with. This usage was equated with other racial slurs, the "N' word to name one.

Now I can understand the passions associated in some circles with THAT word, even while I wonder how some are allowed to use it. It's just an all-around good idea to avoid that word in polite company. There is a lot of suffering and struggle associated with purging what it represents from our society, and I respect that, even if I do not think some who benefitted from that struggle do.

But let's leave that issue alone for now, and move on to discuss degrees of offense as they apply to usage of other names.

How do we as a society define the parameters of what is acceptable? It seems that right now we are giving the task of defining the parameters to those who hear the words, and not at all to those who say them. Let me just throw this out- is that where we want to end up? Is every perceived slight going to be labeled as hate speech? Where can we draw a reliable line that society can say of- "Here we stop, and shall go no further"?

Does suffering in slavery count for more than being conquered in a World War? How about TWO World Wars? How about belonging to an Abrahamic race (there are two of them)? What weight do we add for skin color in this? Percentage of the general population? What other grievances can be brought to bear in this? How many generations can it go on? I'm just asking a question here- what hurt, real or perceived, do you want to frame in your accusation of hate speech?

Is it possible to raise the question- "What part does the one saying the word get to play in this?" If I do not intend to hurt someone, if I harbor no ill feelings toward the hearer of my words, am I
culpable? What part do cultural differences get to play here? If I am from a rough-and-tumble world where one is expected to suck it up and be a man, and you are, well, not- then what of it? Does cultural sensitivity only cut one way? (Insert Klingon reference here...)

Let me toss this out. Sometimes I come across someone speaking of a "Good Ol' Boy" mindset, usually implying a negative connotation. As a fat old cracker myself, do I have the right to take offense at this and cry "foul" because I was on the receiving end?

Or should I just recognize that all down through human history, people have disagreed about things, not liked each other, and entertained bad thoughts of others, never mind what race, color, or political persuasion each may have been? And no matter how civilly they address each other, they may not agree or even like each other? The real issue is how one really feels, not necessarily what he says. It would be nice if we could judge people by what they say, but the smart money goes on what they mean. And that can cut both ways.

9 Comments:

Blogger GrandForksGuy said...

There are probably many out there who haven't followed the conversation over at Rick's blog and don't know what "abbreviated form of name of an ethnic group" GOB is talking about.

When mentioning how he drives a "big bitch" of an SUV, he made a reference to "tiny Jap cars". Jap? When was the last time anyone used the term "Jap" to refer to something or someone Japanese? I'm thinking the last time I heard it, it was probably coming out of the mouth of Archie Bunker on an old rerun. No one uses the term Jap anymore. Why? Because it is an outdated and derogatory term used to marginalize an entire nation of people. Not nice stuff.

GOB can claim that our crying foul over his use of the term "Jap" is just "PC BS", but in my book it isn't being PC. Like Tu-Uyen said, it's just being civilized.

8/16/06, 2:46 AM  
Blogger GrandForksGuy said...

Hmmm, I can't help but notice that "comment moderation" has just been enabled. Why? Aren't we supposed to be able to express ourselves in whatever "colorful" language we so desire?

8/16/06, 2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If not anything else, you are indeed verbose. You could have asked your question in a pagraph.

8/16/06, 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Is every perceived slight going to be labeled as hate speech?"

Only if you are a white male.

Anyone that can find anyone else charged with a "hate crime" besides a white male??

8/16/06, 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate speech my ass, this is America. If it's one thing I can't stand, it's people who preach tolerance who can't tolerate the way other people think or speak. Is it hate speech when people give me a bad time about being fat? Or is it possibly just their way of saying that my flaws are on the outside and theirs are internal? Come on people politically correct has become an excuse for being over-sensitive. Be a man, laugh about it... unless it was an insult, in which case, you drop the ##%%$^&& on his ass.

8/21/06, 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, no comments? Sorry, man.

-Lucy

8/21/06, 11:15 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Great topic, should generate a lot of discussion. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail and it won't get ugly.

Since it's not always possible to discern how someone feels, you often have to go by what they say. Especially on the internet where there is no tone of voice, facial expression, or general mood.

I read the initial post, I didn't think you meant anything by it. Over time the word has come to be considered a derogatory reference, I don't think there is much you can do about that since there is no way to go back and change history. That's a problem with culture and society, I'm sure going back to the late 1800's the term probably had no negative connotations. People create hate language, and over time I imagine words will circle back into "acceptable" usage.

My own experiences with my in-law's and their "hate language" drives me nuts. My husband grew up listening to it and I was appalled by some of the things he'd say during our early years together. When I'd address it, he didn't even know the meaning or origin of a lot of the phrases he'd use. He grew up hearing it and using it. Whenever I hear my in-law's saying certain things I call them on it. They defend themselves, they think it's ok.

I would think that most people don't intend to offend when they say things in everyday conversations, my in-law's excluded.

8/24/06, 10:01 AM  
Blogger Goddess Cassandra said...

I think "hate speech" is a combinition of both intention and context. If I went up to my friend and called her a little b*tch jokingly, it would be okay. We have a close relationship, and if I said it in the right tone of voice, it would be a joke.

If I did that in a professional envirnoment, even to the same person, it would be diminuitive and rude.

If I did it to a complete stranger, it would be harrassment.

If I said "All women are b*tches" it would be sexist. If I then continued with "All b*tches need to be put in their place" I think that starts to become hate speech (which is why I think some artists are quite misgynist). Hate speech is about more than an individual, it is about speech against a group.

Now, you can take that in context of racial slurs: some words have social and historical conotations. N*gg*r is a slur: it is meant to be demeaning. If a black says that to another black, it MAY be okay in that context: retaking the word for themselves. If you say n*gg*r-rigged, than you are being demeaning of blacks, although possibly unintentionally, by ignoring the history and connotations of the word. What are you trying to say, and what do people associate with that word?

And it is true, that you can be perfectly polite and still be as evil as can be. But, people are entitled to their beliefs and feelings: what they are not entitled to is harm and harrassment.

8/26/06, 12:13 PM  
Blogger Good Ol' Boy said...

Ten thousand apologies to everyone who posted- I was tinkering with my settings and did not realize what I did. Just for the record, I ain't skeered of your opinions. Not sure who'll read this anymore, but it looks like we could have had a good discussion going here- thanks to you all!

Now, back to our show....

8/27/06, 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home