Saturday, August 12, 2006

Enough Already with the Commercials...

First up- sorry I haven't been venting here lately. At least I know two people check here once in a while- they both wondered what was up. Guess I slipped into a moment of contentedness and got lazy. Well, that and the two weeks on either side of the first of the month is always busy at work for yours truly.

So to my adoring public- get over it. Here you go:

Anyway, I am really getting frosted lately over a couple of radio commercials that hammer at me incessantly. The first one was really cute the first four or five times, but after a few thousand times, well, it loses its luster. I am speaking of course of the Mountain Dew "Junk in the Trunk" ad. Great stuff, funny as all get out, but come on- enough is enough..... and take your "Pepsi Smash" ads when you go, too. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Oh for Pete's sake.. there it is on the radio again, even as I type.... oh the ignomy of it all. And now it's on another station I switched over to! Must....reach...for....CD....uunnghh..

Now, I must say I understand the importance of getting your name out in advertising, building brand recognition, and so on. Lord knows I spend enough on radio ads (there Mike- is that a good enough plug to make your boss happy? No problem, glad to do it buddy) trying to achieve that golden objective of top of mind awareness with the public. Went to seminars, even. But the last thing I ever want to hear is someone saying they are sick of hearing one of my ads every ten minutes on any radio station they may try to escape to. Well, unless it was one of my competitors- they can take a flying stab at a rolling donut.

So the problem as always, Grasshopper, is how to achieve balance in one's life. Let your potential customers know you are out there, ready and able to serve them, but don't piss them off with incessant yammering in their ear. Like the waitress who comes back to the table too many times to see how you're doing. Well, okay, I made that one up- but it could happen in GF. I think you know what I mean, though.

Well, off I go now, in search of other topics to rail on. In all honesty, life has been pretty nice lately, judging by the topics here, wooden shoe say?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaa!! Wooden shoe say!! *snort!*

-Your daughter

8/12/06, 6:27 PM  
Blogger Good Ol' Boy said...

Interesting- thanks!

8/14/06, 10:06 PM  
Blogger Tu-Uyen said...

You must really like those Megan Mullally Show commercials, then.

8/15/06, 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to have you back, sensei.

8/21/06, 8:16 AM  
Blogger Goddess Cassandra said...

Oh yeah, Pioneer is great. It's the only station in the area that I've found that isn't pop Clear channel clone. Lots of interesting stuff.

8/26/06, 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home